KIPP Affirm Middle School
At KIPP Affirm, our students, staff, families, and community members work collaboratively to create a learning environment in which students’ identities, cultures, and community are explored, celebrated, and affirmed. Through consistency, authenticity, and always with love, we uplift our students by providing the knowledge and tools needed to develop strength, power, and pride in themselves and in their education. With this, our students have the freedom to live choice-filled and fulfilling lives, becoming changemakers and leaders of their community.
KIPP Affirm Middle SchoolGet Directions
A Day in the Life
School Hours: Our school day runs from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
Arrival & Breakfast: Students can arrive as early as 7:30 AM, during which time breakfast is served.
Lunch & Snacks: Students will have a 10 min snack break during mid-morning where healthy snacks will be provided. Freshly cooked lunch is served daily in the early afternoon.
- Science: Hands-on, inquiry-based curriculum empowering students to analyze and approach problems like scientists and engineers
- English Language Arts: Reading, analyzing, and writing based on high-quality diverse texts
- Math: Rigorous, college preparatory math curriculum, including Algebra I Regents offered in 8th grade
- Social Studies: Exploration of students’ own identities, communities, and cultures, as well as discourse, writing, and debate on topics like US history and current events
- Guided Reading: Small group reading instruction at each student’s instructional reading level
- Special Education: Differentiated instruction in the least restrictive environment by certified learning specialists, including ICT, SETSS and other mandated services as indicated on a student’s IEP (please call us to discuss your child’s specific needs to ensure we have the services specified on their IEP).
SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING, ENRICHMENT, and EXTRA-CURRICULARS
Affirm Block: Students will have dedicated time (once per week) to engage in powerful individual, relationship-building, and community-building experiences, which emphasize self-reflection, identity development, and character growth.
Electives: an electives block occurring 3 times per week during the school day and can include courses like:
- Girls’ Inc.
Affirmation Circles: 3 times per week, students will then gather in groups of 10-15 to collectively engage in pro-active circles.
Whole Grade Celebration: each week, students and staff at each grade level will come together to bond and celebrate the efforts and accomplishments of our students.
The electives block occurs three times per week during the school day and has included activities such as Chess Club, Flag Football, Girls Inc., Playground Opera, Robotics, and Step. In addition, students have dedicated time to engage in powerful individual, relationship-building, and community-building experiences, which emphasize self-reflection, identity development, and character growth. In Affirmation Circles, students gather in groups of 10-15 to collectively reflect on their experiences. During Whole School Meeting, we gather to explore, affirm, and celebrate our highs, lows and everything in between including birthday celebrations, current events, upcoming school events, school goals and priorities, and more. Also, students and staff at each grade level come together weekly to bond and celebrate the efforts and accomplishments of each other.
At KIPP Affirm, the Affirm Family Collaborative (AFC) is a partnership between our staff, families, and community that uplifts every voice and story in our community to ensure input and collaboration among all stakeholders, and to foster humanity, grounding, and connectedness. The AFC meets monthly to discuss school updates, listen to and implement feedback received from families, plan fun activities and events, and coordinate community collaboration projects.
- The Coordinator for Dignity for All Students Act is your School Social Worker.
- How can I report child abuse or mistreatment?